One to two weeks before surgery
High protein, low fat, low carbohydrate foods. (Follow your nutritionist's instructions)
2 days before surgery
Strict CLEAR liquids only.
Examples of CLEAR liquids:
- vitamin or flavored waters (low calorie Gatorade for example)
- chicken soup broth (just the liquid)
- low calorie Jello (any color)
Evening before surgery
Nothing to eat or drink starting after midnight.
Arrive to the surgery
Check in area early, we recommend 2 hours early. Bring something to read in case there are unexpected delays.
Do not take any of your regular medicines on the morning of surgery unless specifically told to do so. If you happen to be on Ozempic, or any other appetite suppressant GLP 1-agonist, we now mandate that the medicine should not be taken for a minimum of 2 dosing intervals (e.g., semaglutide and terzepatide, should be held for a minimum of 15 days).
Surgery takes about 1.5 hours, then 3 hours in recovery room, then you will go to a room for one overnight stay.
Diet after surgery
You will go back on a clear liquid diet after the surgery, and stay on that same clear liquid diet for another 2 days. Then you will start blended foods only (puree) for 3 weeks. No cheating! Some examples of pureed foods include: protein shakes, apple sauce, and yogurt. Any thing blended or pureed is okay for 3 weeks. Discuss details of this diet with your nutritionist.
You can shower on day 1 after surgery, and bathe on day 5 after surgery.
Some Common Side Effects
- Heart Burn: We recommend an over the counter antiacid like Prilosec – once daily.
- Constipation: We recommend you continue to increase water or vitamin water intake. If needed, can trial: milk of magnesia, senna tea, Colace, or Dulcolax.
Please take a chewable multivitamin (or a patch) daily.