Dr. Brian Jacob is an internationally recognized weight loss surgeon who initially learned how to perform the sleeve gastrectomy in 2003 after training with Dr. Michel Gagner, who actually is the original pioneer of the sleeve gastrectomy procedure itself! Over the past 17 years, Dr. Jacob has since performed over 1000 sleeve gastrectomies with outstanding outcomes. In fact, the sleeve gastrectomy is one of the most common procedures that Dr. Jacob performs. He has one of the lowest complication rates at Mount Sinai Medical Center, where he performs the procedure, and almost every patient is discharged within 18 to 24 hours of the procedure.
Despite his extensive experience, what truly sets Dr. Jacob apart for weight loss surgery patients is his unparalleled attention to personalized care and his warm bedside manner.
To schedule an office visit for weight loss surgery with Dr. Jacob, please call 2128796677 or email Dr. Jacob at firstname.lastname@example.org
Requirements to get a sleeve gastrectomy
Dr. Jacob performs sleeve gastrectomy on patients aged 15 to 75. You will meet with Dr. Jacob twice before your actual surgery. Once for the initial office visit and once just before your actual surgery.
If you plan to use your insurance to finance the procedure, you can actually begin the precertification process for your weight loss surgery even before your first visit with Dr. Jacob. To do so, you can begin to collect these three required items (these are required by almost all insurance companies):
- 1) A letter from your physician documenting that you have had morbid obesity for at least 6 months, despite attempts at supervised diet and exercise programs. A sample of this required letter can be downloaded here.
- 2) A letter from a bariatric nutritionist who does a one-time preoperative and post-operative nutrition evaluation. All of your dietary questions will be answered. You may use one of your own, or we will recommend one. Call us at 212-879-6677 and we will provide the name and number of a nutritionist.
- 3) A letter from a therapist or social worker that states your mental health is stable to proceed with weight loss surgery. You can visit your own, or you can visit one that we recommend. To obtain our recommendation for a weight loss specialized therapist, please call our office at 212-879-6677.
Once completed, you can fax these above 3 documents to Jennifer at Dr. Jacob’s office at 212-650-9981 (fax) or mail them to: Dr. Brian Jacob, 1010 5th Avenue, New York, NY, 10028
What is morbid obesity and body mass index (BMI)?
- You are a candidate for a sleeve gastrectomy if you have morbid obesity, which is simply defined as when you have A) no other conditions, but have a body mass index (BMI) of 40 or greater, or B) if you have other associated conditions like high blood pressure, sleep apnea, diabetes, or PCOS with a body mass index (BMI) of 35 or greater. You can calculate your BMI here if you know your height and weight: https://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/educational/lose_wt/BMI/bmicalc.htm
What is a sleeve gastrectomy?
- Dr. Jacob uses just 5 small “keyhole” incisions to carefully remove about 80% of your stomach.
Risks of the sleeve gastrectomy surgery
- The sleeve gastrectomy is considered a major surgery and carries risks. Some risks include , but are not limited to, bleeding, a leak, infections, deep vein thrombosis, prolonged hospital stays, reflux esophagitis, and cardiopulmonary risks. Side effects include, but are not limited to, heartburn, constipation, nausea, hair loss, and the risk of weight regain. Up to 30% of patient can regain weight after the first 3 to 4 years. Consult your surgeon for a full list of all of your short term and long term risks.
Side effects of the sleeve gastrectomy surgery:
- Side effects include, but are not limited to, reflux and heartburns, constipation, and weight regain
- The goal of a sleeve gastrectomy surgery is to lose 50% of your initial excess weight (based on ideal weight for you height)
- Success often requires follow-up with your surgeon, nutritionist, and adherence to a diet and exercise regimen.
Read a Real Patient Testimonial
My experience with Dr. Brian Jacob has been wonderful. At 73 he performed a sleeve on me and I exceeded his and my expectations. I went from 304 lbs the day of surgery to 150.6 lbs currently. A fantastic experience! – Sharyn