Information About Gastric Bypass Surgery

When a person is morbidly obese, losing weight on your own can be quite difficult. Your body is simply accustomed to the weight and is resistant to typical methods for losing weight, such as changes in diet and increased exercise. For these patients, gastric sleeve surgery can be an effective alternative. 

Dr. Jacob performs many of these surgeries at NYC Hernia. Here’s some more information about various aspects of gastric sleeve surgery. 

What is involved with gastric sleeve surgery? 

Gastric sleeve surgery is one of the bariatric surgery options. It has become the most reliable option for weight-loss surgery. Dr. Jacob performs these procedures laparoscopically in the majority of cases with the patient under general anesthesia. 

These procedures entail dividing the patient’s stomach into two unequal parts. About 80 percent of the outer curved part of the stomach is cut away and removed. The edges of the remaining 20 percent are then stapled or sutured together. This creates a banana-shaped stomach that in only about a quarter of its original size. 

How effective is gastric sleeve surgery? 

Gastric sleeve surgery helps patients lose weight in two ways: 

  •     The patient’s stomach is significantly smaller, so they feel full and stop eating sooner, which means they take in fewer calories.
  •     Dr. Jacob removes the part of your stomach that produces ghrelin, a hormone that’s associated with hunger. This makes the patient less hungry.

According to statistics from the American Society of Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery, patients having gastric sleeve surgery can expect to lose at least half of their excess weight within 18 months to two years. Some people lose up to 70 percent. 

Who is a good candidate for gastric sleeve surgery? 

Bariatric surgery of any type is only considered to be an option for a patient after they have committed to other methods of weight loss but have been unsuccessful. This includes the use of weight-loss medications. 

Patients must meet certain criteria to be eligible for these procedures with Dr. Jacob. 

The patient must have these conditions: 

  •     Extreme (morbid) obesity — Body Mass Index score of 40 or higher
  •     Obesity (BMI score of 35 to 39) along with at least one significant obesity-related condition

If you’ve been struggling with obesity and meet those criteria, gastric sleeve surgery with Dr. Jacob could be a lifesaver. Call us at 212-879-6677 to schedule a consultation with Dr. Jacob.

Contact Us Today

* All indicated fields must be completed.
Please include non-medical questions and correspondence only.

Accessibility Toolbar